Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

I am not a winter person. By now, I would like to think you would know this. After all, I have only been complaining about the amount of snow, the bitter cold and the shortened days for awhile now. So its safe to say, and right to assume that I am not a big fan of the winter sports, other than hockey.

That is of course, written off, and ignored every four years. When the winter olympic games come to what ever city decides to host. Because no matter how much I am not a fan of winter, and no matter how much I may not know about most the winter sports. There is just something about them, that draws me in. More likes suck me in to be honest. For the two/three weeks that it is on, I pretty much eat sleep and breath whatever sport is on.

And its usually not the usual that fascinates me. But the curling, the bobsledding. The other stuff that I usually don't see on a daily basis.

Maybe its because for those precious weeks, the quiet moments, it is not US vs. Canada. It is not us vs. them. But its the world coming together. Its the world sharing moments, stories that touch us all. Whether your from the US or from Germany. Whether you are white or black. You may be playing for your country, but in those moments you seem to be playing for the world.

I will admit there have been several moments, when I find I am not rooting for my home country. And I know I should. But there are times, when I find a story, like the skier whos brother has CP, from Canada, and while I should have been rooting for USA. At that moment.

We were all Canadian.

No comments: