Pages

Friday, May 9, 2008

lets talk hockey

Its a sad day in the hockey world. No, no one has died, no one has been seriously injured either. But for those of us who have followed the Washington Capitals for the past two decades, well someone may as well have.

Call it an end of an era, the final bow. Whatever you may. But as of this morning, long time goalie, Olie Kolzig has decided he won't be returning to the organization he has been with for 17 years come Training Camp in September.

He will either do one of two things. Find another team in hopes that they will think highly enough to put him as their main goalie. Or he will retire.

I for one wish him luck in whichever he decides to do.

Am I surprised? Not really. I mean yes, I was hoping that by some chance he and the team would come to a decision and would work things out. But on the other hand, my heart told me I knew this would come. Sooner or later.

But I have to say this. The team will not be the same without him. I can't even imagine how foreign it's going to be come October, at the first home game looking down at the freshly cut ice and realizing Olie won't be stepping on the ice. There will be no more Godzilla chants.

Foreign indeed.

Vogel, of the Caps organization said it best, when he mentioned it being personal. I agree. While I haven't followed the team as long as my husband has, or half the others out there. I have followed it for quite some years now. And before so, the only name I remember is Kolzig. He was supposed to be a forever name to the organization a personal establishment.

He was also the first true Cap I remember following even remotely. I guess I like many felt like he was going to be around for ages. We tend to forget the players are human, and if they don't get what they want from one place, they are bound to look somewhere else.

We can not fault him for this.

Still.

I take it personal because he was the Caps. Because he was one of the first 'famous' people I met during the two years I worked at Z104. How clearly I recall not letting him in because I had not one clue whom he was. How I blushed when Haber finally told me and I quickly looked around let him and turned bright red.

I take it personal because he was the first hockey player I had seen close enough to realize what incredible athletes they are.

Let me tell you. He had a nice butt. Among other things.

I take it personal, because it feels as though I have lost someone so dear to my heart. It hurts.

I will miss him.
And his beautiful ass as well.

No comments: