Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I am an adult student. Meaning I rise at five to make it down to south east DC before eight. I pull in my usual eight hours which consists of sitting in front of a computer staring at excel spreadsheets, and hour long meetings that often end with no other conclusion than setting up another meeting for later on the week. After I pull my eight hours I pack up as fast as I can in hopes that I can possibly beat the rush hour traffic in the Washington Metropolitan area and sit through a three and a half hour class. On days I don't have classes its usually spent doing homework, catching up on work, work and trying to spend the few hours before bed with my husband.
Sitting through my first ever university exam this evening I couldn't help but ask myself how in the hell did we do this when we eighteen. I could barely pay attention to the professor now without daydreaming about something else. I am only taking two classes, and still find it hard to schedule in study time and homework time. And at eighteen you not only have more than two classes, but also have a social life to contend with.
No wonder I couldn't make it ten years ago.
Am I any smarter than I was at eighteen? Who knows. I sat through the exam knowing that I studied but as I went over the exam, I felt like I had no clue what I was talking about. Nothing was coming to me. And even though I am only twenty seven suddenly I realized why this was so much easier when you are eighteen. For unlike most twenty seven years old, at eighteen, most don't work full time.
So my first exam is out of the way. Can't say I did a fabulous job on it. But it's done . And it's over. And there isn't much more I can do about it.

No comments: